Sunday, February 17, 2019

An excellent new/old hymn

While I'm still in the grip of some obnoxiously persistent bug or crud or whatever this is, today had one particularly fine hymnic pleasure. I had forgotten that for today's service, I chose the penultimate hymn in PC(USA)'s Glory to God: The Presbyterian Hymnal. It is quite possibly my favorite hymnic thing to have happened in my lifetime, definitely one of my favorites if not.

Hymn #852 (yes, there are 853 hymns in the collection) is a text from 1991 by the Canadian hymn writer Sylvia Dunstan (1955-1993). "When the Lord redeems the very least" takes much of its substance from Psalm 126, while also alluding to a substantial number of other scripture texts as well, sometimes almost by accident simply because it touches on themes that come up an awful lot in scripture. That first phrase gives you a clue about its theological intent, and some selected other bits of the text will give you a clue as well: "when the hungry gather for the feast..." or "when the earth is given to the meek..." gives another peek. Tying such phrases together as well as leading the refrain is an equally key phrase: "we will rejoice." Notice the plural pronoun. It is conspicuous enough, and markedly more so when one is experiencing the hymn in its chosen musical context.

You see, Sylvia Dunstan composed this particular hymn to be paired with the tune of the old gospel song chestnut "I'll fly away." And the verse is just so, that the word "we" in the hymn falls exactly where the old gospel song would have you singing "I'll." That's one slick bit of theological commentary.

The inward, individualized, escapist longing of the original gives way to the corporate, immediate, rooted longing for God's kingdom now. All of those now-and-not-yet bits of the gospels find a home here, really.

And for those wondering, all of the nifty harmony bits are carried over in full.

The pairing was apparently deliberate. According to Carl Daw's Glory to God: A Companion, Dunstan deliberately set out to create theologically substantial and sound texts to go with favorite gospel song tunes (this is the only one I've come across so far). It's almost like a dare. You say it's the music you like? Fine. Here's the music. Even the harmonies. And I'll absolutely stand behind this text theologically. Go on. I dare you.

If the mainline is ever going to find its voice in worship and song, it's going to have to be a corporate voice, worshiping together. The occasional more individual text can work, but a steady diet of I/me/my hymns kills the corporateness of worship in song. Anything that pulls us together and pulls us towards those to whom Jesus keeps expressing favor is a good thing. If it sends the congregation out on a rollicking high note, that's fine too.

So there was my hymnic high point for the day. Try it sometime. I dare you.

The text is copyright, so any more and I'd be in trouble. I might be anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment