Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year? We'll see about that.

Not being a big New Year's Eve partier, I'm at home for the evening, contemplating the year to come and the greeting typically exchanged on this evening.

Happy New Year?  In the United States it's going to be an election year, so probably not; at least the first ten-plus months promise to be quite unpleasant.  And to top it off, it's a leap year too, so there's an extra day of that joy.  In short, you're probably going to have to work to make it happy.

It's also an Olympic year, which makes some people happy.

For me, it promises to be equal measures of blissful enlightenment and outright befuddlement.  The exclamation "Oh, good Lord" may well be agonized or ecstatic, which I guess is a normal year.  I've been here just enough to know that I really don't know what's coming, and that's probably a good thing.  As long as the befuddlement does not too much outweigh the enlightenment, I guess I'm doing all right.

So, for all seven of you who read this blog, Happy New Year, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment